Rib fabric is a common knit fabric type produced by double plate knitting machine and commonly used to produce accessory fabric, tank tops and underwear. (How is knitted fabrics made?) (What are the types of knit fabrics?) (What is rib knit fabric used for?)
Rib fabric is known as accessory fabric to be used as a collar and cuff for swaetshirts, sweatpants, hoodies, t-shirts and for polo t-shirts.
Rib fabric is also called as; cotton rib fabric, cotton 1×1 rib fabric, cotton 2×2 rib fabric, camisole fabric, accessory fabric etc.
Rib fabric has report which changes the look and stretch ability of fabric.
Here is the general information about rib fabric;
• Rib fabric is relatively more stretchy and used as accessory fabric.
• Stretch ability of rib fabric ensures to be preferred as sleeve bands, neck bands, sweater waistbands.
• Can be produced both as tubular rib fabric or open width rib fabric.
• Can be produced %100 cotton rib fabric, %60 cotton %40 rib fabric, %97 cotton %3 elastane rib fabric, %95 cotton %5 full elastane rib fabric. (There may be various other composition)
• Mostly preferred ones are 1×1 cotton elastane rib fabric and 2×2 cotton elastane rib fabric.
• Rib fabric can be melange, bleached, single dyed even double dyed in case of cotton/polyester blended fabric.
• The gsm of rib fabric varies depending on customer demands. For cotton elastane rib fabric, the gsm of the fabric may vary between 200 gram-500 gram.
• The width of interlock fabric varies between 55-100 cm for tubular rib fabric and 110 cm to 185 cm for open width rib fabric. But Rib fabric is mostly preferred as tubular fabric.
• Most common 2 rib fabrics;
30/1 %97 cotton %3 1×1 elastane rib fabric Width: 92 cm Gsm: 210 gram
20/1 %98 cotton %2 2×2 elastane rib fabric Width: 62 cm Gsm: 310 gram